Monday, August 19, 2013

THE BALD, BEAUTIFUL AND ORDINARY DADA

The late Nemela Neema Phillip Mangula
By Muhidin Issa Michuzi
Beauty queen and super model Flaviana Matata  made it popular  after winning the first edition of the Miss Universe Tanzania pageant in 2007,  and went on to represent the country in the Miss Universe pageant the same year, where she emerged among the top  15 semi-finalists and ended up in 6th place.
Flaviana was the first contestant from Tanzania to take part at the Miss Universe pageant, where she had competed with a shaved head to both the amazement and admiration of all. Thus Bald became instantly big in the country.
The beauty queen might be the trendsetter, but still there are some young girls out there who combine the seemingly catwalk hair style and ordinary life, with great effect.   One of them is Nemela  Mangula, a simple, determined young lady born and raised in Tanzania in a family of six,  of - yes, you have it right - Mzee Philip Mangula, the Vice Chairman of the ruling CCM party.

 "Well, my father and family in general have always supported my style; they always tell me that I need to do what makes me comfortable.
"It was a style I always wanted to try; but I remember one summer just as I started my final exams it took me a while to get ready in the mornings because of the hair style I had, it was the perfect opportunity to try out the bald style and so I went for it. 
"It took me a few days to get used to that look but once I did, it was liberating! Everything got simpler", she explains, adding quickly that he doesn't have any eyesight problems, and that the glasses she always has on are plain and stylish.
 The last time she had long hair was in May 2010 during her final year exams. Then she preferred letting her natural hair down. But due weather conditions in Cardiff, Wales, where she was studying law, she had to braid it or get dreadlocks to keep her hair healthy. 
The ever modest Nemela doesn't believe that everywhere she goes all eyes are one her, especially when accompanying her father in numerous social functions. Nonetheless, she never feels uncomfortable in public. She claims to be very much at ease anywhere, anytime.
"If memory serves me right; the first time my dad saw me bald he went… “This is a very good sign; all professors and doctors only go half bald… but you are completely bald which means you were doing extremely great in your studies", the 25-year-old Nemela tells you with the largest of smiles.
She refuses to admit that going bald needs some guts, and that only the brave and the bold, women who are ready to accept getting stared at everywhere, dare try it.
 Nemela appreciates all the support she gets from her family and that yes, she had tried very many hair styles and loved each one of them. 
 "But when I went bald,  I said to myself…, this is it for me!" recalls Nemela, who holds an LLB Hons. degree from Glamorgan University in Cardiff, Wales, and a Post graduate Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy
 She, however, agrees that few African women like going bald, insisting that what matters more is what that person is comfortable with. 
"I certainly cannot advise someone to go bald if they know that they won’t be comfortable or confident in that style.
 "Perhaps the only advice I can give is; Ladies, choose a style that works for you, a style you are comfortable with that gives you a unique look which defines you", she tells you in her self-effacing way that camouflages her  glittering academic background.
 What with an award of goodwill and thoughtfulness by St. Francis Girl’s Secondary School, an award of excellence by First Minister of  The National Assembly for Wales,  for a commitment made under millennium volunteers, a national initiative offering young people opportunities to help themselves and their communities.
 That is not all. The bald lady who is presently working at Kijani Agro Tanzania LTD., in Dar es salaam, is also the immediate-former President of the student government at The Centre for Foreign Relations.
 Does she believe that whatever men can do women can do better? 
"Actually, I believe that the ability, skill or capacity of an individual does not at all depend on their gender. The brain is the most amazing feature on our bodies; scientists to date are still trying to understand it. They haven’t proved that one sex is somehow superior to the other when it comes to intelligence; they simply illustrate how the brains of men and women have different weaknesses and strengths. 
"Thus my point being; women and men are both capable of achieving the same success, one doing better than the other depends on a number of reasons like a certain lifestyle, an upbringing, their surroundings but mostly the amount of effort/ determination they have. 
"One among my favourite quotes by Robert Anthony is “You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can’t have it.” 
"Therefore if one believes that they can achieve something, there is no reason they shouldn’t do it as good as anybody else or even better", she philosophies. 
Nemela is not interested in diving into politics, insisting that currently she would like to focus on building up her career.
"I look forward to pursuing a master’s degree in diplomacy and economic development. Let me say that at this time I want to accomplish my educational goals. All the same, I aspire to become a representative of my country in the international arena",  she explains. 
In 20 years from now, Nemela envisions a peaceful United Republic of Tanzania , a society that has a reduced income gap between the highest paid person in the government and the person having the lowest income. 
"A country with more female representatives; moreover I support the Tanzania development Vision 2025 that will see a halved proportion of people living below the national poverty line, reversed spread of HIV/AIDS, halved proportion of underweight, under-five year olds and  halved proportion of people without access to safe drinking water", she says almost in a trance. 
Also she sees Tanzania Achieving universal primary education, gender equity and equal access for boys and girls to primary and secondary schools, reduced maternal mortality ratio by three quarters, as well as reversed loss of environmental resources


Who is Nemela's number one Role model?  Mzee Philip Mangula, of course! 
"First and foremost he has always been there for me, supporting my every dream. He has never let anyone in my family down; in fact he does more than enough!
 "Not only is he a wonderful parent, his honesty, strength and philosophies are inspirational to many including me. He is my mentor, he defends the weak and stands for what are right! If there is one thing he has always set an example of, is being true to oneself and always depend on God because He is the only constant factor in our lives", says Nemela, with the child in her almost jumping at you.
 Her other role models include Rosa Parkes, who she says peacefully refused to move to the back of a bus – sparking waves of non-violent protest in favour of African-American's rights,  before African-Americans went on to achieve full and equal rights in the USA. Had segregation and discrimination outlawed and took her stand to fight for her rights and made a difference! 
The other role model for Nemela is Emmeline Pankhurst, leader of the suffragette movement which gained the right to vote for women for the first time in 1919 Britain. "Because of her women are now allowed to vote in every democratic country in the world" she smiles. 
Who would you love to meet in life and why?
"I would like to meet Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese pro-democracy leader who has inspired the world with her non-violent resistance to a brutal dictatorship. 
"Another person is Benny Hinn, he is my spiritual mentor, I listen to “this is your day” almost daily", says Nemela.
She  would have also loved to meet Mwalimu Nyerere, adding that  few minutes with him would have definitely been life changing for her! 
Nemela describes the Father of the Nation as  a charismatic and visionary leader and that she is a  big fan of all his philosophies and leadership style.
Among her favourite Mwalimu quotes is “There must be equality because only on this basis will men work cooperatively. There must be freedom because every individual is not served by the society unless it is his. And there must be unity, because only when the society is united can its members live and work in peace, security and well-being. Society must have institutions which safeguard and promote both unity and freedom and it must be permeated by an attitude—a society ethic—which ensures that these institutions remain true to their purpose, and are adapted as need arises.” 
You must have had harboured the need to talk something to the media when and if the chance arises, like today. Well, here you are today, shoot... 
Says Nemela. "In reality I never dreamed of having such an opportunity but now that I have, I would like to start off by saying thank you for such a wonderful opportunity. I am not a person of many words, however; I have a few inspirational quotes which inspire me and I would like to share them:

“Do not let what you cannot do; interfere with what you can do.”
–John Wooden

“Try not to become a man/woman of success but rather try to become a man/woman of value.”
–Albert Einstein

“It’s not about time, it’s about choices. How are you spending your choices?”
–Beverly Adamo
 Last question: What is the meaning of your name, NEMELA?
"Ah hahahahaa..." I am a Mbena from Njombe. Nemela means "To be Proud of" or "love ", like….Unemela u Jesu is like saying I am proud of/love being inside Jesus...!

REST IN ETERNAL PEACE 
MY DEAR SISTER
- Michuzi


1 comment:

Judy said...

Gone too soon. Its sad and a big loss to the family and Tanzania. Rest in peace sister